- Share a story about a sports team or group who had a reputation far better than its performance?
- In verse 1 what did the Lord mean by, “you have a reputation for being alive?” What are the implications of a church that has a reputation for aliveness, but the Lord has to tell them they are dead?
- What was the contrast between reputation and reality in the church at Sardis? What does Paul say about this in 2Tim. 3:5?
- Deadness is as unscriptural as doctrinal error. What are some warning signs of deadness in a church? What dangers exist for Christians who rely on an image instead of nurturing a genuine spiritual life (v.2)?
- How can a church continue if it is spiritually dead? From verse 3 make a simple outline of the only hope for survival in the church of Sardis.
- If Jesus addressed this “wake up call” to you, what would He want you to strengthen?